Tuesday, June 21, 2011

On this day in 1991

Way back when, in 1991, I responded to post card stuffed into a tech magazine -- I believe it was an issue of Lotus, the magazine for professionals using Lotus 1-2-3 (for you youngsters, 1-2-3 was the forerunner to Microsoft Excel). It was an advertisement for a new online network.

I mailed it in and soon received 5 floppy disks (5-1/4") containing a run-time version of GeoWorks, which promised (and actually delivered) a GUI-like environment for an Intel based 286 desktop computer.

On this day in 1991, I created my AOL account. Little did I realize the main name would forever linked to the account, otherwise I would have chosen a better handle.   From a novelty point of view, I am still regarded as a charter member though there is no longer any discount associated with that stature.

That account (and it's subsequent better choice) lives on today. Also my mom's account does as well, and at her advanced age, she has no desire to learn a no interface to contact her friends and grandchildren.    I've long since migrated to GMail for my personal/professional mail, but have yet to give up my old AOL accounts.   I suppose I'll keep it until my mom stops using it (in one manner or other).

Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook