Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dancing with the Glee Stars

I took some flack last night (No, Tina, not from you) because I voiced my opinions on two of TVs recent big-rating grabs: Glee and Dancing With The Stars

I saw the intro to GLEE, which showed a teacher pushing an obviously flu-stricken student to sneeze on the school's principal.  This, I am told, was a mechanism to get the teacher (the cheerleader coach) to become interim principal.

OK, so maybe I am getting old, but is this the story line that passes for prime time entertainment?   This show strikes me as FAME meets SAVED BY THE BELL.  I know I will be slammed by Gleeks but I think I'll pass on any more episodes.

Dancing With The Stars also took some criticism from me, in that I said I never watched an episode of the series. 

In the interest of full disclosure, let me make one thing clear: I don't dance.  I suck at it, and always have.  Days before my much-better-half and I tied the knot, I was in search of OSHA approved steel-toed white shoes so I could protect her feet. The times I have danced in public have led to no less than three public ordinances banning me from ever attempting to do so again.
This morning a co-worker in the next cube was playing a clip from access hollywood which recapped last night's episode.  I won't pretend to know the contestants - I know Brandy as a singer, and you'd have to be in coma not to have heard of Bristol Palin - so I have no horse in this race.   What surprised me was the seemingly obligatory videos of the stars recapping their most difficult times in their lives

Huh?

What the hell do testimonials have to do with dancing?  Who cares?  So if I were to compete on such a show (perish the thought!) and told a sob story, I could possibly beat any one of the other contestants?

My schedule is pretty full these days, so I don't get to watch much TV at all, but there are a few shows I won't ever go out of my way to watch.

Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook