Thursday, October 28, 2010

Being stupid with Web 2.0

A buddy of mine is connected with me on LinkedIn.  He's an all-around good guy, and I don't mean to sound like I am directly insulting him, but I am calling him stupid.   This is from his LinkedIn feed as seen in my Google Reader:


Now this guy (let's call him Dave) he's connected in Social Media, so he can have this info scraped to Twitter and wherever else online.  And everyone knows he's going out of town  -- in this example, he was out of town, but the point still remains.   His status shows how often he is out of town, and it is at least twice a month.  Suffice it to say it's not hard to locate his home and such online.

Dave is a family man, with a wife and two young kids.   I had a chat with him about this last month, because in this day and age, it's not really smart or safe to advertise when you're leaving town.  Now Dave's wife is not a shrinking violet, and for all I know can handle a gun better than I can, that's not the point.     The idea, however, of splashing online 'hey, I am leaving home for several days' doesn't strike me as a smart thing to do.

What's you opinion?

Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook