Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Project 2996: Robert L. Cruikshank

Foreward:

9/11/09 will mark 8 years since the attacks of Word Trace Center I and II, The Pentagon, Shanksville, American Airlines Flights 11 & 77, and United Airlines Flight 93 & 175.

On that day 2,996 people were ripped from their lives. But as the media and society tend to do, they have focused on the killers. We’ve all learned more about them than we wanted to. On that day many of us made a pledge to never forget what happened.

The bloggers listed here are trying to keep that promise by learning about the people who died that day. Use the list below to visit their sites and read about the people they have chosen to remember.


Robert L. Cruikshank

Despite my efforts, I could find precious little about the life of Mr. Robert Cruikshank. In the interest of preserving what little I could find on Mr. Curikshank, I am reprinting the comments left by others in the event the referring website should cease to exist:

  • http://www.9-11heroes.us/v/Robert_L_Cruikshank.php I knew Mr. Cruikshank from Siwanoy CC in Bronxville, NY. He was always a kind gentleman. May he rest in peace. Posted by Johnny Mastro on 2008-09-11
  • http://terroristattack.com/messages.php?id=589: I had the privilege of working as administrative assistant to Bob Cruikshank during his tenure as CEO of Chicago's First Capital Corp., a division of the Equity Group. It's difficult to define the level of respect I have for Bob. He was one of the two true leaders I've met in my lifetime. I have framed a photograph of the two of us at an Equity Group Christmas party against a background of the American flag. Next to the photograph is a newspaper column describing his accomplishments and announcing his death on 9/11. His wife is quoted; "Knowing him, he was taking care of his staff until the end." Having worked with him, I agree with her 100%. He would have put the safety of his staff above his own. Each year since the disaster, the framed photograph comes down from its place of honor at home, and comes to work with me for the month of September. I will never forget Bob Cruikshank and the incredibly positive impact he has had on my life. -- Kelly Ripka 09/11/2006

Not being able to discover anything more about this man, it may be fair to say he was an average person. Doing his job, minding his own business. That does not mean he ought not to be remembered, for he was simply doing his job on that sad day, and like the 2995 others, his world and the worlds of his friends, family, and indeed our country, will never be the same again.



Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook