Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wonder when I'll lose my Secret clearance

According to the Department of Homeland Security, I can easily be considered a terrorist.

Gee, won't that look good on my resume'?   I wonder when I'll lose my secret clearance, simply because I have a fundamental disagreement with the President of the United States?

Yesterday there was a lot of ink and talk about an assessment published by the that is titled Right Wing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment.  In the 9 page document that was distributed to federal, state, local and tribal law enforcement officials and is tagged Unclassified // For Official Use Only, it is plainly stated that most people who did not vote for Barack Obama can be viewed as a threat (emphasis in the following by me):
Right Wing extremists are harnessing this historical election as a recruitment tool. Many right wing extremists are antagonistic toward the new presidential administration and its perceived stance on a range of issues, including immigration and citizenship, the expansion of social programs to minorities, and restrictions on firearms ownership and use. Right Wing extremists are increasingly galvanized by these concerns and leverage them as drivers for recruitment. From the 2008 election time frame to the present, right wing extremists have capitalized on related racial and political prejudices in expanded propaganda campaigns, thereby reaching out to a wider audience of potential sympathizers.
What do you know?  Because I did not vote for , because I believe in border security and in the enforcement of our immigration laws, because I believe in the 2nd Amendment, and because I have expressed my 1st Amendment right to campaign in favor of these views and against those views of the current administration, I can be labeled an extremist!

Gee, I guess last month was a bad time for me to join the !

Now before anyone reading this decides to join my co-worker, who immediately called the report a sham and a fake, since he could not find its official release on the dhs.govhttp://www.dhs.gov/ website, allow me to point to the following major media sources:
  • Reuters: The April 7 report, which Reuters and other news media obtained on Tuesday, said such fears were driving a resurgence in "recruitment and radicalization activity" by white supremacist groups, anti government extremists and militia movements. It did not identify any by name.
  • Washington Times: Homeland Security spokeswoman Sara Kuban said the report is one in an ongoing series of assessments by the department to "facilitate a greater understanding of the phenomenon of violent radicalization in the U.S."
If this was a hoax put out by some right wing extremist, the Obama Administration would have said as much and would have distanced themselves from it.   Clearly, President Obama condones this sort of rhetoric. 

Now I do not believe that this single document is evidence that people like myself are to be rounded up for prosecution, but it does set a tone that ought to be disturbing.  One that suggests we either think-in-line-or-beware.  Today, across the US, there are Tea Parties planned on this last day to file your income taxes.   How many people will wake up this morning and think Gee, maybe I shouldn't attend the rally against higher taxes.... who knows who may be watching?  This document, on its own, may serve as a warning to anyone who might dare to speak out against our elected president.  
Suddenly, the rhetoric President Obama used when he spoke of those he called bitter, gun holding, bible thumpers, of his being a member of a hateful, racist congregation, of his friendship and association with a domestic terrorist, suddenly comes into greater question, don't you think?  

The so-called moderate is far from that; one might even say he's an extremist, but then if I were to go record saying that I might get a knock on the door from law enforcement.

Remember: elections have consequences.  

Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook