Monday, October 20, 2008

Colin Powell

Secretary of State/General is a man who deserves enormous respect.

That doesn't mean he's infallible.

There was little surprise in Sunday's announcement he would endorse 's candidacy for President; it was, perhaps, one of the worst-kept-secrets in politics.    What is surprising are some of the Sec. Powell's reasons.

, I thought, was going to wet his pants on Friday when he teased that Powell would be on MEET THE PRESS.  But since MSBNC has finally acknowledged he isn't an anchor but rather a commentator, he's entitled.
Sec. Powell spoke of Sen. Obama's "ability to inspire, because of the inclusive nature of his campaign, because he is reaching out all across America, because of who he is and his rhetorical abilities" reveals quite a lot about his reasoning.   Obama inspires with his rhetorical ability is qualification for a motivational speaker, not head of state.  His campaign is inclusive to all except those who cherish free enterprise and capitalism, as Obama has already gone on record for favoring sharing the wealth

As for his seeming dismissal of the working relationship with , allow me to speak of my own past:

In order to be hired in my job, I require a security clearance (I hold 'Secret' clearance, which is nothing to sneeze at, but hardly a high level of clearance). They sent an FBI agent to my neighborhood who knocked on doors, asking about me. They sent an agent to a reference I provided, a friend I have in Albany, NY and interviewed her.

They went back 10 years in my life, checking with the landlord I used to rent from in NYC, and the companies I listed in my resume'. At least 1 of my former employers that I know of for sure were called. That's what they did for my position, and mind you: I received my clearance in 1998, pre-9-11; it is much stricter now.

Tell me: if I had a friend who was unrepentant in his admitting to bombing the Pentagon, who called himself 'a small 'c' communist', do you really think they'd hire me?

I ask Sec. Powell: do you really think a man who is a friend with a domestic terrorist is fit to be president?

If you are a reader who supports Sen. Obama, will you answer that question, too?

I have plenty of other reasons, specifically on policy, why Sen. Obama should not be president.

Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook