Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Push-Up Up Challenge... home stretch

Continuing with the HUNDRED PUSH-UP CHALLENGE .... (see results of week one, week twoweek three, week four)
I had thought by this time the effort would have leveled off.   Not that it would be easy, but not incredibly harder.
This post should have come shortly after Friday's work-out.  Obviously, on Tuesday, I've slipped again.  I did finish the work-out Friday, but it was time for an endurance test which I didn't complete until Sunday. 
First, the recap:
  • Monday:  35/28/25/22/Max (at least 35)
That is, with a 60 second break in between each set (more if necessary), perform 35 perfect push-ups, rest, do 28, rest, then another 25, then a set of 22 after another rest, then do as many as I can reasonably perform, but no less than 35.
Wednesday was, again, progressively harder:
  • 17/17/16/16/14/14/12/Max (at least 35)
Notice the increased number of sets!! Fun fun!  But I hit the prescribed the minimum of 35 in the final set.
Friday was a lost day for me, overall. So I saved the work-out for Saturday:
  • 16/16/14/14/12/15/10/10/Max (at least 35)
I hit 40 on the final set.   And that's a plateau for me.
This is the beginning of the 6th week... so why am I not closer to performing 100 consecutive push-ups?  This is an annoying question for me.    At the end of week 5, I was to perform another endurance test, and since I struggled to hit 40 on Friday, I waited until Saturday evening to do it.  Again I hit 40 and that was all.  
I am doing better than I was 5 weeks ago, but I am unclear how I will hit even 75 consecutive push-ups (inside the 6 week period) at this rate.  It is disheartening, but I will continue to press on.  No matter how well I do, I am getting stronger, so that's nothing to sniff at.
 
UPDATE: Today's set was fairly easy (remember, it was supposed to be Monday's set):
  •  42/35/32/30/Max (min 42).
I failed on the last set of >42.   I made it to 35.   I may retry this set, or opt to redo last week's work-out.    Not at all pleased with myself...

Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook