Friday, August 08, 2008

The Challenge continues...

Continuing with the HUNDRED PUSH-UP CHALLENGE .... (see results for end of week one , week two)

Week three is in the can:




This week started a little weaker than I had hoped. The goals for day 1 for me were

  • 25/17/17/15/Max (at least 25)

That is, with a 60 second break in between each set (more if necessary), perform 25 perfect push-ups, rest, do 17 push-ups, rest, then another 17, then a set of 15 after another rest, then do as many as you can reasonably achieve, but no less than 25. And that's where I struggled, trying to hit the last 25.

Day two was progressively harder:

  • 27/19/19/15/Max (at least 25)

On Wednesday I got as high as 27 in the final set. Better, yes, but not nearly as much as I hoped, especially since the rest in between each set was raised to 90 seconds.

Today the sets were starting to get serious:

  • 30/22/22/20/Max (at least 27)

The rest in between was upped to a full 2 minutes today. As I was interrupted by a phone call just before starting the final set, I did get more than a 2 minute rest, but I cranked out only 36 push-ups. Now don't get me wrong: a month ago I could do about 27 very well, so this is an improvement. But after the end of week 2 I pumped 45 perfect ones, so this is sort of a let down.

However, I remain optimistic that in just about 3 weeks I'll be able to do 100 consecutive push-ups. That's hardly worthy of anyone enlisted in the armed forces, no doubt, but it will be a worthy accomplishment for myself (and it will certainly help in my TKD studies).

Unfortunately, Bill Shaw noted that he had to drop out of the competition due to an unrelated injury. However the person who inspired me to compete, Derek Semmler, is still working the program, and hopefully fellow travelers Mark & Jughead are as well!

Even if you're too late to participate in Derek's competition, there's no reason why you can start this program yourself! Head over to hundredpushups.com for more info.

Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook