Monday, February 11, 2008

Thoughts of V-Day

If you loathe , join the club.

Perhaps loathe is too harsh, but I am in the chorus of those who don't get Valentine's Day. When I was single, I participated because I believed it to be part of the courtship ritual. Today, I see 80% of the day being pure hype.

Yes, I have gotten my much-better-half a Vt. Bear, and a PajamaGram, and A la Zing -- and of course, assortments of flowers, chocolates, jewelry and dinners out -- all over the years. 14 years ago she told me: no more roses on Valentines day... too expensive. So I buy flowers throughout the year, on any given day, for no reason. I get her 8 or so bouquets each year, and I spend a little more than I would on one dozen roses today. And after years of buying her jewelry she doesn't wear, she's told me not to buy anymore pieces (she seldom wears any jewelry).

Enough already. You watch the commercial for Vt. Bears or PajamaGram (which are both owned by the same company), and the assumption is women are either ignorant or stupid: She'll think you spent weeks shopping for it, but if you call by 8PM Monday, we can guarantee next day delivery. Right; of course, if you're a woman, please disregard this message. As if we men are all so dumb that we don't expect our gals to hear the same commercials (speaking for myself, I realize I am not a rocket scientist, but there are plenty of men out there who are certainly brighter than I am).

Besides, how many bears can a gal own, anyway? At least pajamas are something functional.

So, yes, I got my MBH a card for Thursday, as did our 12 year old son. And of course I gave an assist to our 5 year old son as he made his own. Life is far busy to go to crowded cafes or the like just to get a V-day dinner... if we each had the time to get away for the weekend we would, but clearly this isn't happening any time soon.

But do I expect anything? Not at all. Anyone who thinks the event of Valentines, as a whole, is driven equally to men as women isn't being realistic. Men don't get the same treatment on the day (by and large- you're mileage may vary), and we all know it. Don't get me wrong: I'm not looking for sweets or treats; my position on gifts hasn't changed.

So maybe after the rush of the holiday, Ill order for her a LobsterGram, and attempt to make a dinner without using the house as kindling (they offer turf as well; that'll be on my plate).

Next on the holiday calendar: Mom's day and MBH's Birthday.... is it any wonder I am always at a loss for buying good gifts???

For more on how others dislike today, read FOXNews.com - Entertainment and Lifestyle Nws - Fox Features - Hate Valentine's Day? You're Not Alone "


Reposted/updated from 2006



Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook