Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Iowa

A few people have asked me who I think will win in Iowa.


I am quick to remind them that this election cycle is unlike any other in our nation's history. It's been so accelerated that all predictions based on past data are useless.

At this stage of the game, there is only a superficially marginal difference in all of the top Democrat candidate positions. Promises to raise taxes, push socialized medicine, and misguided foreign policy are the benchmark of each candidate's position.
According to Drudge (and NY Times), Sen. Edwards will pull all troops our of Iraq in under a year. How dumb can he be?
There is not one Democrat currently running for whom I would vote; this probably comes as no surprise to many, but with the top-3 items I've listed above, there's no chance I'll ever back any of those foolish (in my opinion) positions.

So in my mind, it doesn't matter who (of the top tier) wins in Iowa on the Democrat ticket. It's too early to make a real difference.

As for the Republicans: I used to say I'd vote any of them over any Democrat Primary winner. I am only slightly retract from that position. One candidate has me bothered, greatly, on several issues. I won't detail them now (it is 03:00, after all), but I thought it necessary to state my wavering on the GOP field.

Still, if faced between Democrat X and this, certain Republican ... I may relent and cast my vote while holding my nose. Better to avoid heading down a Socialized Medicine road.





Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook