Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Feeling ill

In the classic TV series M*A*S*H, we're told of Cpl. Radar O'Reilly's unique body chemistry:

Unlike Radar and his fellow medical personnel, I wasn't pinned down by a sniper yesterday, but I came pretty close to understanding what he meant1.

I was tasked about a week ago to give a presentation on our core software application to members of a different Defense organization, with the desired results they would be willing to use this app in their daily activities. I am not at liberty to describe the app, itself, other than to say it lends itself to logistic operations, which are very useful in the defense sector.

I used to sell software as a VAR a dozen years ago, and I since I have nearly that many years of experience on this particular app (another of the reasons why I am considered a subject matter expert, or SME), it's no surprised I get these assignments.

While I could describe the process with a pen and bar napkin to anyone who cared to listen, a formal presentation is what was expected. I was out of office most of last week, and Monday had me at off-site meetings, so Tuesday was my only chance to prepare. The mail server in our demo lab was down yesterday morning, so I had to wait on one of the SAs to come in.... ok, not too much of a delay.

Then it hit me: an abnormally loud groan from my lower intestines. I'll spare all the gory details, but suffice it to it was as if everything solid in my body turned to liquid.

I muddled through the demo (what they wanted and what can offer will only work if they foot the bill of some API mods to their legacy applications, so while I did a good show, its not certain they'll buy into it). My ride home was difficult - remember it is 110 mile drive. By 9PM I registered 103.8 temperature... nice.

I'm in office today... too much on my plate to take off, and too much that I can't do remotely. I've eaten a few bananas and hope to eat lunch... but its going to be a long day.



1 Clip courtesy of M*A*S*H 4077th Sound Bytes

Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook