Sunday, January 06, 2008

Dream Weaver

Over the last few weeks I've noticed I have been dreaming a lot more often than usual. This is noteworthy, particularly because I seldom ever recall dreaming, and have no memory of any dream I have ever had, at least as an adult.

Prior to this last month, at the few and far between times I've recalled dreaming I routinely found myself waking up, certain I had experienced something, but never knowing what. Generally, it was either a pleasant or other non-threatening feeling; I can't recall ever having anything remotely described as a nightmare (at least as an adult).

I am sleeping about the same number of hours as is typical for me; if anything, I've slept less because the holiday, all-night TV marathons. But living on less than my normal 5 hours of sleep is not out of the ordinary.

In the past I tried keeping a pad and pen, and once I kept a voice recorder, in the hopes of recording whatever dream thoughts I had should I awake knowing I had one. I gave up after a year, having found no pattern of when I would be most likely to experience a dream, and never being able to put any dream into words.

I wonder what has caused this up tick of dreams, and wonder if any one else has a lack of dream recall.

UPDATE: According to Scientific America, it appears nightmares are more common in people who have a lot of stress. Are you kidding me? I could go toe-to-toe with anyone in the stress department, yet I don't have nightmares. Hear the 60-Second Science podcast.






Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook