Monday, December 24, 2007

It's Christmas Time....

Santa Cap

I can't say I am in the full swing of the Christmas holidays... I know, I know: be thankful for the good things in life, and yes, I am. And of course the celebration of the birth of Christ is not forgotten in the Wii-inspired shopping frenzy that is all around. (Side note: no, my kids are not getting Wii) But even seeing the glee in the eyes of my kids is becoming less and less something that sets my mood bright. And its not because they're not getting a Wii.

Even as I sit here wearing my favorite Christmas baseball cap, listening to Christmas season tunes, I can't shake this .... blah. This funk will pass, not doubt. It always does. But getting to the passing point seems to be a longer ride every year.

The I have a status report to generate and send out around 2PM, and then I'll likely call it a day. I have some year-end reports to churn out, but that's what next week is for, right? Between now and then I'll scan the blogs I follow for posts - slim pickings, as everyone else is in Holiday mode - and make a few phone calls, send some e-mails to others offering Christmas greetings.

I'd phone each of you, personally, who read this blog regularly, but to do so would risk you trusting me with your phone number (not to mention my risking some wiseguy figuring how to defeat my block of my caller-ID) so you'll have to
do without.

I meant to post about what is best described as an evil-genius who was willing to share his scheme with a highest bidder on eBay:

You are bidding on a rare chance to traumatize a treasured friend or relative with baffling, mind-numbing, mystery correspondence from abroad.

Here is the arrangement: I will be spending the Christmas holiday in Poland in a tiny village that has one church with no bell because angry Germans stole it. Aside from vodka, there is not a lot for me to do.

During the course of my holiday I will send three postcards to one person of your choosing.

These postcards will be rant-ravingly insane, yet they will be peppered with unmistakable personal details about the addressee. Details you will provide me.

The postcards will not be coherently signed, leaving your mark confused, guessing wildly, crying out in anguish. How do I know this person? And how does he know I had a ferret named Goliath?

Your beloved friend or relative will try in vain to figure out who it is. Best of all, it can't possibly be you because you'll have the perfect alibi: you're not in Poland. You're home, wherever that is, doing whatever it is you do when not driving your friends loopy with international prankery.

The scam is so simple, yet exquisite. The guy got $415 for the trouble of mailing 3 postcards. Not bad at all. What sells it for me was the angry Germans who stole the church bell. Follow the link to see others who have followed his lead with postcards of their own...

NoradSanta.com is up and running, of course: with Google Maps, you can track where the Big Guy is right now; my 12 year old son is jazzed about the map aspect.

If this is your only planned reading of my humble blog today, allow me to wish you a very Merry Christmas (certainly, a better one than I am experiencing now). I'll probably post about something or other before tomorrow morning... like my final shopping excursion this season. Which also happens to be my first such trip --- yeah, I am that bad....

Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook