Monday, December 31, 2007

Holiday, year-end wrap up

As I sit in my cubicle, after finishing some contractually necessary reporting that few (if any) will bother to read {until even} after the holiday, I find myself posting one of the last posts to this blog of the year.

The Christmas holidays were, well, not as bright as the could have/should have been. Nothing tragic, mind you, but the kids were sick. MBH was sick. I even caught their bug over the weekend. Yeah, it sucked.

We delayed Christmas in our house a few days, so the kids could spend the day enjoying themselves.... we had to reschedule the visits to the local family, and cancel my folks' annual to-do in Queens. That was a big disappointment: my folks always want my 3 brothers and I to celebrate Christmas with them, and each year there seems to be a reason one of us doesn't make it. Two of my brothers are on Long Island, but one lives in New Hampshire and we're out in PA, so it's getting harder to get us all under the same roof. We'll try to get in to them this weekend, but certainly my brother and his fam from NH most likely won't be there, understandably.

And there are other headaches around the house that have to be dealt with. But many of them will be done by the time the spring weather is upon us.

This is the time of year when you're supposed to look back and reflect on things in your life (or so we're all told):

In my real life, it's been a fairly quiet year, thankfully. Work has handed me new responsibilities (read: headaches) but considering my salary requirements I have no complaints. We're all healthy -- well, healthy enough, not to have to complain too much. And the cars are all humming along. The house is still holding together, but the to-do list gets longer and longer, so I will have to redouble my efforts to get more and more done each weekend.

Sidebar: On a related note, Wired reports something that certainly interests me:
A nasal spray containing a naturally occurring brain hormone called orexin A reversed the effects of sleep deprivation in monkeys, allowing them to perform like well-rested monkeys on cognitive tests. The discovery's first application will probably be in treatment of the severe sleep disorder narcolepsy.

The treatment is "a totally new route for increasing arousal, and the new study shows it to be relatively benign," said Jerome Siegel, a professor of psychiatry at UCLA and a co-author of the paper. "It reduces sleepiness without causing edginess."

YEAH!!! Sign me up as a tester!!!

In my social circle, I know a few people who aren't as happy as they'd like to be with the career choices, but are grateful that they have them. They may not have the most money in the world, but they are certainly making the most with what they have.

I know a gal who is one of the most charming people you'd ever meet, and yet fails repeatedly to make wise choices in her mate, and winds up sorry, all too frequently.

Elsewhere, in the number of people I know through this semi organized social network of blogging (I do so hate the term blogosphere): some welcomed new births, some lost loved ones to old age. One fine person has come to learn their mate didn't see things the same way (although I am still hoping it is a case of temporary insanity), and yet another launched a career as an author.

More than one fellow blogger (and another person to whom I am personally known) is experiencing health issues - or, as a parent, are experiencing medical issues through their child - that I wouldn't wish on a enemy.

Two other fine bloggers had big years in opposite (apparently) directions, and both of whom I've linked to many times over the years: one left her old blog to start a new one, heralding her new life with a new mate. The other.... well, the other described a personal medical issue in a post in August, and has since seemingly vanished altogether. Of course, I wish both of these good souls well.

Looks like there's a lot of up and down; a pity we can't all be on the positive side of things (There are other folks I am forgetting, of course, but the good feelings go with them as well.).

But it's a new year, so we're supposed to assume the slate will be cleaned1 and we're starting new. Basically, I don't get that notion: it's just another calendar, just another day. In the past I've ranted about the futility of waiting for New Years to resolve to do/change/start/stop something, so I am at least consistent in my reasoning.

Yet, if others find comfort in starting fresh, I certainly hope that works for them. For me, the time to start anything new is here and now, regardless of the calendar page..... maybe, tomorrow morning, but that's the extent of it.

Regardless of our own lot, we have a much to be thankful for in our lives. We may be far from perfection (whatever the hell perfect means), but we can concede were better off than a lot of people in this world. And each day we start to work our way towards a better life, only occasionally forgetting that there are others who would be MORE THAN happy to trade with us. Many of those people, for example, couldn't access the Internet (much less this blog) if their life depended on it.

Tonight, unlike some others, I'll be home. No parties for us... MBH may well be asleep around 10PM (she's still fighting the cold we've all fought). I'm looking forward to watching the ball drop (and the Shamokin, PA Coal Drop - wish I had picture-in-picture!), then flipping over to watch The Honeymooner's Marathon on WPIX-11, occasionally switching around to see the 'ball drop' from other timezones-- all of which will be done with glass of bourbon in hand, quietly ringing in the new year. Maybe I'll post in the wee hours... the first of the new year.

I keep hearing a lyric from Semisonic going around my head:

Closing time, every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...

Tomorrow is a new year, a new month, and a new day. Here's hoping you and yours make the most of your new beginning.




1 Are there even 3 readers who are old enough to appreciate this phrase?

Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook