Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving

This represents, like so many other bloggers out there, my perfunctory Thanksgiving post.

After almost 5 years (or, if you want to be specific, almost 6) of blogging, I have done several of these posts before. At the risk of repeating myself, I can, at least, update on some of the things I am thankful for:

  1. We made it through another year (er, at least about 11 months worth) without anyone in the fam having an unscheduled visit to a hospital. 'Nuff said.
  2. Our contract at work was extended. When I started here 3 years ago, we had 3 1-year contracts. Now we're good through 2013. That's not retirement, but at least we're reasonably safe for now.
Looking back to posts in the past....
  1. The Real Story of Thanksgiving
  2. George Washington's 1798 Thanksgiving Proclamation
  3. What would be Thanksgiving without a Turkey? Here's a link to the classic episode of WKRP in Cincinnati.
Something new to read and reflect upon: First-time commenter Diane has a posted the text of President Lincoln's Official Thanksgiving Proclamation. A definite must-read.

I am, of course for family and friends. (Why my MBH puts up with me still is anyone's guess). Our youngest son is gearing up his list for Santa... the 12 year old is not spoiling it for his 4 year old brother, but I think he's not ready to state, categorically, what he thinks of the Big Guy.

Unlike what the popular media would have you believe, Thanksgiving is not a time for mourning.
  • While our troops are in harms way, they are providing for us security (in spite of the majority in Congress who is not providing them funding).
  • While there are many who are realizing what adjustable rate mortgages mean, the number of people in their own homes remain at record levels.
  • Gas prices hurt everyone, no doubt (just ask Mr. 1,100 mile/week commuter), yet we have a record number of people driving this week to family and friends.
  • The Stock Market - the choice for retirement investment for most every American - is still trekking higher and higher.
Whatever our particular lot in life, no matter how bad a week/month/year you've had, while there are those we envy - secretly or otherwise - those people are in the minority. And I can tell you: their lives are not all rosy either. Who would ever think someone with money and fandom would ever have the kind of year that Britney Spears had?

So as you site at the family table - wherever it may be, with but a few or a mass of family or one or even if you happen to be by yourself - take a moment and give thanks for the good things you do have.

And if you are reading this, please accept my thanks for being there. Without you, I'd be talking to myself. And trust me: I do enough of that in my car...



Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook