Friday, March 30, 2007

People ask me questions, wondering what I'm doing... 1

Saw this on MonsterBlog today

Posting drunken photos from that spring break trip to Cancun? Writing a blog post or MySpace comment that blasts a colleague or supervisor? Neither takes much more than a couple of clicks or keystrokes to do. Yes, thanks to Web 2.0 personal online publishing tools -- blogs, wikis and social-networking sites -- we can share our thoughts and experiences with the world in an instant.

But thanks to the caching power of search engines, what we publish today will remain online tomorrow, next month, next year and five years from now. And savvy employers are very likely to take a look at your personal online record before they hire you.

Christopher Penn certainly does. He’s a hiring manager and chief technology officer at the Student Loan Network and says that Googling job candidates’ names before bringing them in for a face-to-face interview is a no-brainer. “We also search their email address on MySpace, LinkedIn and Facebook,” Penn says.

Amazingly, people ask me why I hide behind a pseudonym. "Why don't you show pics of your MBH or your kids?" Am I the only one who thinks a certain level of anonymity is a good thing?

Well, at least Monster thinks I am on the right track.


1When I read that post from Monster, the lyrics of John Lennon's Watching the Wheels came to mind. Why I thought the words used in the subject of this were part of his lyrics is a mystery to me, too.

Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook