Monday, January 23, 2006

Yeah... but what else does it do?

Yesterday I ventured out to make a purchase of a piece of protective gear for my study of Tae Kwon Do. Anyone who has ever done any contact sport will recognize the term 'cup', including women (altho I know of no women that use one). Mine has severed well these 2-1/2 years, but its elastic band has lost its use, so its time to be replaced.

I ventured to my neighborhood Dick's Sporting Goods (yes, yes, I realize the irony and/or obvious euphemism). On the rack there were two varieties: one priced at $12.99, the other at $24.99. I studied both packages carefully; this is one form of a protection that you ought not to skimp on (not unlike generic condoms). Yet, I don't want to waste my money on frivolities.

Both were of similar design, both were sized for Adults. For the life of me I couldn't discern any enhanced safety or other special qualities that would warrant nearly double-the-price.

Thinking out loud, I mumbled 'What would make this one worth twice the price?'

A female store clerk standing nearby offered 'perhaps it lights up??'

If I ever decide to spar in the dark, maybe I'll go back and buy it... of course, that would make me more of a target.



Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook