Saturday, September 24, 2005

Metablogging Meme

Well, far be it for me to ignore a meme, especially after being Doubled Tagged, once by Alex and once by TrekMedic. So here goes...

  1. Do you try to look hot when you go to the grocery store just in case someone recognizes you from your blog?
  2. The only way I could possibly 'look hot' involves self-immolation. That and the fact no one at the grocery store will ever recognize me from my Blog, unless the cashier perhaps engages me in political debate.
    Read More...

  3. Are the photos you post Photoshopped or otherwise altered?
  4. Look at the profile pic at the top-right of this page. Lest there be any doubt, that isn't me, it's Zonker Harris of Doonesbury fame. Trust me, he looks much better than I do, with or without Photoshop. As for other photos, I do not own Photoshop, nor have the patience to learn any such editing software.

  5. Do you like it when creeps or dorks email you?
  6. The few e-mails I get have not been from any creeps or dorks-- they are from other Blog owners (most of whom I respect), sometimes telling me to quit stalking writing to them.

  7. Do you lie in your blog?
  8. If I did, why would I answer this question honestly? OK, I admit it: in question #3, part of the line about "e-mails from people I respect" isn't true; the part that is a lie is left for you to figure out.

  9. Are you passive-aggressive in your blog?
  10. In spite of the phrase 'passive-aggressive' having been woven into the fabric of all discussions -- from spousal relationships to rush-hour traffic -- I can't honestly define its current meaning, so I will skip this question.

  11. Do you ever threaten to quit writing so people will tell you not to stop?
  12. Heh...the only threat I've ever made is that I will indeed POST again.

  13. Are you in therapy? If not, should you be? If so, is it helping?
  14. As if I had the time.
    Any therapy I may need I suppose I can get from this Blog; where else would I find someone (notably, me) who would agree with nearly everything I wrote? (If you understood the circular logic, perhaps it is you who needs the therapy)

  15. Do you delete mean comments? Do you fake nice ones?
  16. I've deleted one comment to date, because it was a particularly hostile-sounding one; I did indicate that it was deleted, but the person who wrote it (and many comments since) never indicated knowing about it. I have yet to get Comment Spam, which reminds me of conundrum said of answer-phones 20 years ago: is it better to come home and find you have 20 messages, or no messages?

    There's no need to fake nice comments; I blog because I like to read what I write. If I started commenting about myself in third-person, I may need to rethink question #7.

  17. Have you ever rubbed one out while reading a blog? How about after?
  18. No, no you're confused. There aren't any erasers on the Internet.
    {Editor's note: oh wait, I know what you meant; that's just plain nasty.}
  19. If your readers knew you in person, would they like you more or like you less?
  20. I think the relative handful of frequent visitors (on both sides of the political spectrum) would maintain the same opinion of me in person, except they can't simply 'close the browser window' to make me go away.

    To date, there's only one person (who comments here) who has ever met me in person, but we worked together even before I learned to Blog, so it doesn't count as someone I met through this Blog. Another lurker is Hank (who I promised I'd mention in my Blog), who says he reads my stuff but has never commented. We used to work together as well, but since the days of the great layoffs, our paths only cross in e-mail.

  21. Do you have a job?
  22. If you have to ask, you haven't been reading this Blog.

  23. If someone offered you a decent salary to blog full-time without restrictions, would you do it?
  24. Sure; however the odds of that happening rank up there with hitting PowerBall. Besides, if I don't believe my words are worth a real domain, or commercial software, why would anyone think they could offer me a comparable salary?

  25. Which blogger do you want to meet in real life?
  26. Anyone willing to put up with reading my words is someone I would value meeting, even briefly. However since I value my anonymity, this is unlikely.

  27. Which bloggers have you made out with?
  28. Does my much-better-half count, even if she's never blogged?
    {Editor's note: were some of these question written by a sophomore in high-school?}

  29. Do you usually act like you have more money or less money than you really have?
  30. I use Blogger, Blogspot, and about a half-dozen other freebies in the sidebar. To date my GoogleAds have earned me less than $2.00 in revenue. I commute 2 hours each way to work. I don't think I sound full of myself or asking for a handout.

  31. Does your family read your blog?
  32. No.

  33. How old is your blog?
  34. Born 16-Jan-02 and soon after went on hiatus. Returned after 8 months, and have been annoying the Internet since.

  35. Do you get more than 1000 page views per day? Do you care?
  36. No, no. I seem to hover around 40 visitors a day (down about 5 since I excluded my own IP addresses). I am mildly interested (thus the counter codes), but I don't go out of my way to promote myself. At one time I figured most of those 40 hits were various Bots checking my link codes or the like. When I get bored, I'll dump the refer log and see who found my page via Google.

  37. Do you have another secret blog in which you write about being depressed, slutty, or a liar?
  38. I don't have time to do this Blog justice, I should have another? Why? So few people would read that one, too?

  39. Have you ever given another blogger money for his/her writing?
  40. If I had some extra to give, I would - there are a few I have been tempted to pay. Since you asked, why not start me off with a payment to me??

  41. Do you report the money you earn from your blog on your taxes?
  42. See question #15, unless you've already read #20 and are sending me money. You can't report what you haven't earned.

  43. Is blogging narcissistic?
  44. Do I sound narcissistic?

    To a degree, yes it is. It gives me the opportunity to voice my opinion and alleged humor, and apparently some 40 or so people read it. Hardly the circulation of the NY Times, but at least its a greater audience than only the voices in my head.

  45. Do you feel guilty when you don't post for a long time?
  46. Pstupidonymous said it best: If you pretend you have readers, you eventually pretend they want to read your dreck. Other than a hiatus in 2002, I try to post at least twice a week, else I may lose 'the habit' and another hiatus might be born.

  47. Do you like John Mayer?
  48. I just now Google'd him to find out he's a musical artist. Does that answer the question?

  49. Do you have enemies?
  50. None that I know of. Why? Do you want to be one?

  51. Are you lonely?
  52. I long since have lost the time necessary to be lonely. If not for my commute, I would not have any alone-time.

  53. Why bother?
  54. Reminds me of a tee-shirt I had in college: Who Knows? Who Cares? Why Bother? Apply that to this questions.

  55. Favorite Blogging tip
  56. The delete key; not enough people use it often enough.



I suppose I ought 'tag' someone to carry forward. Maybe I'll nominate the first person who reads this carry on, either in their own blog or in comments ... does that count as passive aggression?

Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook