Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I didn't know JACK

Well my eyes (and ears) have been opened.

A few weeks ago I noted the passing of Oldies 101.1, WCBS FM in NYC and the advent of JACK 101. I mentioned that I briefly tuned to JACK and found their playlist to be eclectic. I had no clue how much so until recently, when I began to listen to their stream (AOL users can hear JACK here or here).

JACK brings me back to the days of MusicRadio 77 WABC of my youth, playing a broad range of music styles. I won't say I love every tune JACK plays, but I dislike less on JACK than I do on other stations. Have a gander at their playlist from last evening:

Read more...

  • Echo & The Bunnymen
  • Arvil Lavigne
  • Peter Gabriel
  • Men At Work
  • Jesus Jones
  • B-52's

Nice spread!! If I had to make one disparaging comment, its that JACK is all automated, and thus people I know in the Broadcast Industry see them as threat ('all money, no talent' as my friend Jude put it). And he has a point (I once had an automated station as a client when I worked for a software reseller, but that's for another post). While I admit to enjoying the playlist, there is something sterile about not having a live DJ on the other end.

So for now I'll be streaming when I can, and searching out for that elusive live-jock that can deliver the kind of music I long for.

Readers: share your favorite radio stations!


Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook