Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Soggy continued....


Back here I spoke of my leaking hot water heater...

The leak was not in the hot water heater itself, but in the cold water line. The plumber's diagnosis is my water has high-acidity level. So on top of the $1200 for the hot water heater and pressure tank (we have a well, in case you wonder why the pressure tank), add another $1200 for an acid neutralizer. Oh, and if the water tests to be hard BECAUSE it's acid-neutralized, add another grand for water softener.

Mind you, this won't reverse any corroded pipe (from 15 years of acidic water) from ever leaking, this will just eliminate the acid content going forward. So he's testing the water tomorrow to determine IF it needs a softener, and maybe Thursday I'll be home as he guts my water system.

Then he tells me that soft water may necessitate the use of skin cream and the like, since soft water washes away the normal skin oils. For starters, I have never had to worry about abundant dry skin (especially on my face), but somehow while I think this is the least of my worries, I am beginning to long for the taste of NYC tap water from the Catskill Mountains once again...

Sphere: Related Content
DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati FavesFacebook